Tuesday 22 January 2013

Dean Shareski - Ed tech genius..

In my first class of Internet for Educators, I found out that we are going to have numerous guest speakers throughout the term. I think this is great, as I am a person who wants to learn as much as possible about teaching with technology.
 
The first speaker that we got to hear from was Dean Shareski. He seemed to have a ton of experience with Ed tech. Dean had some great points about how the net brings people together and sharing amongst educators is on the rise. Strangers are willing to help each other in order to try new resources that have worked well for other educators. Dean stressed that technology is always changing, and that's why sharing is key in order to keep each other up to date.

Also, he discussed that students within our classrooms should use technological devices (IPAD & smartboard) to help practise their literacy skills. I think their willingness to learn will be heightened by using these pieces of technology. I agree with this statement, as I couldn't imagine teaching without the use of technology. It is something that I see myself relying on greatly when it comes to teaching lessons.

I really enjoyed Dean's point of view on Ed Tech and I am looking forward to more speakers in the future.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tom... awesome to see you in uni, following your passion to teach! I also liked the message of collaboration from Dean, and sharing ideas and experiences that could be new ground for other teachers. I know our experience as EAs has given us the opportunity to see students, schools and systems from another perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your point of using technology for literacy. So often we use tech just to be using tech and I think this course will give us a great foundation to be able to use it differently in our future classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking our jobs as teachers will be easier today as kids are much more willing to learn with technology! I agree that they will be much more willing to learn if they have more pieces of technology to enhance their everyday work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't be able to teach without technology either. In the classroom I use my iPad for centers, assessment, and have even figured out a way to use it for the Fountas & Pinell reading program (which I hope to try out soon). YouTube for quick Bill Nye clips, google for image search, google earth and VPike.com for social studies... possibilities are endless. Oh, and welcome to the class and blogging!

    ReplyDelete