Sunday 17 February 2013

Digital Footprint

"Digital footprints provide data on what has been performed in the digital environment" (Reliable Wikipedia)

When I started this blog, I needed a refresher on what exactly a digital footprint was, through research I have come to realize that a lot of what we do shows up online. We need to be careful with how we use social media cites, as any average joe can google my name and find my facebook page...eventually. I say "eventually" because when I google my name a lot of Ben Affleck stuff pops up and not a whole lot of Tom Affleck. I just don't want employers to mistake me for Ben....just kidding.

By googling my name I found my facebook page, twitter, my blog, my senior baseball stats, and my contributions to the Souris School Newsletter the last couple years. I definitely found a lot more info on me when I typed "Souris Manitoba" beside my name. But it's crazy to think that with a simple search, someone may find where I grew up, what I do for a living, what my hobbies are, what I have coached, etc.

As my PLN gets larger over the years it's important to be aware of my "digital footprint." The interviewers of jobs I may pursue will google my name, so I must be alert of what my digital footprint displays.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, have to love Wikipedia. I was actually unable to find my Facebook, Twitter, and other accounts when I googled my name. The first thing I found was my Google+, which I only recently just activated. Even after typing in my hometown, university, and other things next to my name, I was only able to then get my high school football stats. Oh well. Hard to tell if it is a good thing or a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is somewhat scary to think that some stranger could find that much information about you so quickly and easily....but at the same time I think it's exciting that potential employers, parents and students may find out who I really am - ideally all the good stuff tho ;)

    ReplyDelete