Monday 27 January 2014

Mike Says to "Build A Website!"

Starting this past week in my ICT course, Mike (our prof) asked us students to build a website, and create it like it is your own classroom website. Surprisingly I had never once created my own website, it was always something that I made someone else do for me (fantasy sports site, team site), because it seemed a tad overwhelming to give a try. But actually, it is pretty easy to get started because of the numerous websites that make it easy for you to start one up.

I have seen a ton in my day, a lot of friends and ex colleagues have their own websites that which they keep up to date and some that haven't kept up with their site at all. I truly feel that a class website is the best way to keep students, parents and fellow colleagues up to date on the daily happenings within a classroom. Instead of sending a weekly newsletter home with your students, just take 5 minutes and update the website because it is important to keep parents informed of what their son/daughter is learning on week to week basis.

So then, I had to decide on what I would want on my own classroom website...

Who am I...A brief "About me" section, just to introduce myself to the parents who do not know a whole lot about me yet.

Contact...Basically just my contact information, consisting of my e mail and phone number to the school.

Homework...This section can consist of the daily homework. If a student has forgotten what was due, then they can always check our classroom website for information. This could be very useful for parents as well.

Schedule...This section will give students and parents an idea on what kind of events, celebrations, tests or projects that are coming up for this particular class.

Classroom Rules...These are a list of expectations that are done by the class and I at the start of the school year. They will need to be followed throughout the school year and they will be posted in class as a reminder to all the students.

These are just some ideas so far, I can always add more, definitely has been fun to give a try and looking forward to seeing the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment